food blog

Lo Hui Zhen (19)

2PR

Tuesday 9 September 2014

THREE- DAY MEAL: REFLECTIONS

I used the energy and nutrient composition of food from the Health Promotion Board website to calculate the calories intake for each day. After reflecting on my food diet, I realized that my total calorie intake should be around 2000 kcal. However, on two out of the three days recorded, I did not manage to hit the 2000 kcal intake. If I continue eating less calories than I need, it can lead to potentially life- threatening health problems. This is because each bodily function requires a certain amount of calories to perform smoothly.

Also, fat acts as a carrier for the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K and helps in their absorption by the body. Fat is a source of essential fats (such as omega-3 and omega-6) which cannot be made in the body and must be obtained through food. Fat is a good source of energy. Fat deposits act as a cushion for important organs in our body. However, too much fat is not good for the body as you will gain weight and may become overweight. Being overweight increases your risk of diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke and some forms of cancer. Hence, it is imperative for a person to have the sufficient amount of fats in their body so that he or she will be healthy. Therefore, in my new recipe, I used some minced meat so that my meal will contain some fats.
Source: 'Fat Matters' booklet in the Health Promotion Board website

From 'My Healthy Plate' which can also be found in the Health Promotion Board website, I learnt more about healthy eating habits. I realized I have to increase my intake of fruits and vegetables so that my body will have more nutrients. I can do so by eating a vegetable salad or some fruits after every meal. Also, I need to eat more whole- grain food. Aside from the 3- day meal plan, i normally eat white rice and white bread instead of eating wholemeal bread or brown rice. I learnt that brown rice is healthier as it has the valuable nutrients that white rice does not have. Consuming whole- meal bread can reduce the risk of developing heart diseases and diabetes, and it ensures that we do not get hungry easily. Healthier oils, like vegetable oil is better as it has heart benefits. However, we still have to consume them in moderation as too much fats is not good for the body. We should also drink plain water instead of sweetened drinks as it lets us have a healthy body weight. Lastly, physical exercise is also important. Teenagers are also encouraged to exercise at least an hour a day. 


My Healthy Plate
My Healthy Plate is a friendly visual tool designed for Singaporeans by the Health Promotion Board (HPB). It is developed with the latest science-based recommendations on healthy eating habits and aims to provide an easy-to-understand visual representation of a balanced and healthy diet.
This tool can be used to help you remember and practise healthy habits that aid with weight control and protect against chronic diseases (such as Diabetes), which is a major health issue in Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment